Tuesday, August 25, 2009

August 23 Sunday

After a blissful night of sleep under a big cedar tree we drove along
"Going to the Sun" Road to get to the trail head at Hidden Lake. The
view was spectacular as it winded and zigged along the mountain side.

Our first gift of the day was a mountain goat mama with her baby along
Going to the Sun Road. She was one of many that we saw. I fell in
love with mountain goats here. The babies are absolutely darling - one
mama we saw along the way had twins and they let us get quite close to
them. One goat was on a cliff trying so hard to keep himself awake but
kept nodding off. It was the cutest thing ... do I have pictures? you
bet! The yawning was adorable as well. The mama with the twins got up
and walked right over to where I was , in the bushes now (after all
they do have horns), and just looked into my eyes calmly, connecting.
Marmots and babies are so chunky and cute. They ran through the
wildflowers, which lace the mountainside here. One again, came right
up under me and just looked up at me with a blade of grass in his
little mouth.

Another steep up and down, switchback hike. Hiking here with the sun
on your cheeks and the wind in your hair is bliss. Though its crazy
how the temperatures change from feeling brutally hot to brutally cold
depending upon where you are on your climb or descent.
That cold/hot gave both Kimberly and I brutal headaches afterwards. I
was sound asleep early and raring to go again the next day.

No comments: