Wednesday, September 2, 2009

August 26 Yellowstone

August 26 Yellowstone

We entered Yellowstone through the North and began in Mammoth Hot
Springs. The photos I made look as if there is snow behind the trees
but in fact it hotter than you would care to know!

We were hoping to see wolves but never heard or saw a single one. We
camped in a small campground called Slough Creek. I went for a great
8.5 mile run along a back country trail. I made a lot of noise along
the way to alert the bears and not surprise them. Their surprise to a
small human must be akin to a human's surprise when encountering a
snake. Of course its not scary but its startling! Along the trail I
met a group of people doing a back country hike/camp with lamas
carrying their gear. Kip let me take his picture with his lamas. He
comes here in the summers from Bozman for this great summer job.
And away I went back to my run.

So we didn't encounter any wolves but the bison were phenomenal! I
felt Yellowstone to be more touristy after being in Glacier which was
hiker's paradise ... but the bison made it so worth it. Here you don't
have to go far for pictures where as in Glacier a day's hike is where
the photography gems are (same with the Tetons and Bryce so far .. you
can see I am writing backwards from Bryce to catch up!).
So the bison... the cows are in estrus and the bulls are fully aware..
Need I say more? They are so intent on the cows that I could get out
and walk amongst them. Well, I did so to photograph them as they made
their trek up towards the road and then along the road and to the
other side.
The bulls kick dirt up often and then roll and roll. The image here
depicts this bull content as can be.. legs up, eyes closed... he
actually looked cute and cuddly, though I am sure that is not so much
the case.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the 2nd shot from the top - great mood for those trees!

- Jack