Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sept 4 Canyonlands

While Arches was a neat park I find a bit more solitude to be
preferable when I am composing pictures. Getting off the beaten path
heightens the atmosphere for creativity and bond with the land.
All the hiking I am doing makes me a part of rather than separate from
my subjects.
This morning I met the canyon for a pre-dawn display and watched as
the canyon bloomed with color as the sun peaked up and over the first
cliff.
A challenging hike called Wihite Trail took me down inside the canyon.
It was hot and I was really really solo on this trek. I wondered how
many, if any, hike this each day. The cairns were there but I really
had to look for them. The trail was sometimes but not often visible as
I made my way down the rocky edge of the canyon, looking always for
the next cairn.
I loved the challenge and had enough water but often wondered if I
should really be doing this alone. ... I am glad I did.

No comments: