Monday, September 7, 2009

hiking the Continental Divide trail

Sept 6 Hiking a part of the Continental Divide Trail

I got out of Durango and finally into really beautiful mountain regions of Colorado.
Though several times I have driven by areas that crossed the Continental Divide I had not seen the trail that extends from the North Region of Montana in Glacier National Park to Mexico. Today I did. So I hit the trail for just a 6 mile hike up to Alberta Peak. I imagined myself through hiking the entire 3600 miles and wondered what that might be like with a huge pack on my back and getting through some of these narrow single track that edged the side of the mountain that I was on.
It was breathtakingly beautiful and I could hear a thunderstorm brewing in the distance. If I had been at home it might have been more cause for alarm to get back to the trail head. Here everything is so huge that I could see and hear the storm from my vantage point and it was really quite far away.
Pictures here from the trail and from where I sat at Alberta Point.

Kristen Westlake
Nature and Wildlife Photography on Canvas
WEBSITE: http://www.Kristenwestlake.com
PHONE: (262) 374-0869
EMAIL: kristenwestlake2@gmail.com

No comments: